Friday, August 14, 2009

A Real Girl makes Archi-Creatures



When I heard about this woman who's creating working farms in Brooklyn, I was interested.
When I read that she has degrees in Mechanical Engineering and Architecture, I was intrigued.
Then she sent me her artworks and bios... I am fascinated.
This woman is Stacey Murphy, the founder of bk farmyards who puts her skills and passion together to make our future a little bit greener in Brooklyn.
Here's what she has to say about her 'archi-creaturs' and a little bit more about herself.



'Archi-Creatures'
I am infatuated with the relationship between living creatures and environment: how we organize ourselves, and what we deem 'useful'. The archi-creatures are cultural animators which enact cultural rituals and work through temporary alignments to produce new images of ourselves. Our bodies, ever-shifting, cannot be thought of as fixed or even confined within the boundaries of flesh. What do the things that we create say about us...or more to the point, TO us? How do they make us feel? Do we belong to them or them to us?

About Stacey Murphy
I grew up in a suburb of Detroit building elaborate dream houses with Legos, Capsela, Erector Sets, or sitting in my mom's garden eating snap peas. At age 8, all I wanted for Christmas was a Porsche 911 Targa. I studied Mechanical Engineering and raced cars at Ford Motor Company. Later, I went back for a Masters of Architecture. I started BK Farmyards as a way to combine all my passions: connecting to the community, building cool stuff, and eating well. I believe we are what we eat: our design diet as well as our food diet. I hope to stimulate new possibilities in our failing food system through community action and push the definition of urban to its limit until it rubs up against agriculture.

Check out bk farmyards @ http://bkfarmyards.com

No comments:

Post a Comment